Head of Department
Welcome to the Business and Media Studies Department. It is one among the largest departments at Kenya Coast National Polytechnic in terms of student numbers. Currently the department has enrolled more than 1,200 students in various courses offered in the department. With 32 highly qualified and experienced trainers, the department has maintained high performance both in internal and National Examinations.
Admission for new students is done in January, May and September.
KNEC Diploma Courses
All diploma courses take a maximum of three years delivered in three modules. Each module is examined by KNEC at the end of each academic calendar year. Currently, the department offers the following diploma courses examined by KNEC:
- Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Diploma in Supply Chain Management
- Diploma in Business Management
- Diploma in Journalism
- Diploma in Social Work & Community Development
- Diploma in Accounting
- Diploma in Banking & Finance
The minimum entry requirement for diploma courses is Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) C- (minus) or its equivalent craft certificate.
KNEC Craft Certificate Courses
All Craft certificate courses take a maximum of two years delivered in two modules. Each module is examined by KNEC at the end of each academic calendar year. The department currently offers the following craft certificate courses examined by KNEC:
- Craft Certificate in Human Resource Management
- Craft Certificate in Supply Chain Management
- Craft Certificate in Business Management
- Craft Certificate in Journalism and Media Studies
- Craft Certificate in Social Work & Community Development
The minimum entry requirement for craft certificate courses is Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) mean grade D plain or an equivalent artisan certificate.
KNEC Artisan Courses
Artisan courses take one year to complete. Currently, the department offers the following artisan course:
- Artisan Certificate in Store keeping
The minimum entry requirement for the artisan certificate course is Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE).
KASNEB Diploma and Professional Courses
Kenya Coast National Polytechnic is accredited by Kenya Accountants and Secretaries National Examinations Board (KASNEB) and the department has maintained its accreditation for many years through quality teaching and excellent results. The department offers the following diploma and professional KASNEB courses:
- Accounting Technician Diploma (ATD) Level I, II and III.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Part I, II and III.
The minimum entry requirement is Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) C- (Minus) for Accounting Technician Diploma level I and C+ (Plus) for Certified Public Accountant Part I.
KASNEB Certificate Level
The KASNEB certificate level takes a maximum of two years with examinations at the end of each level. The department currently offers the following KASNEB certificate course:
- Certificate Accounting and Management Skills (CAMS) Level I & II
The minimum entry requirement is Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) D (Plain).
These are courses designed by the Polytechnic to provide trainees with skills, knowledge and attitudes that will enable them perform better in the industry. On completion, the trainee is awarded an internal certificate by the Polytechnic.
Currently, the department offers the following short courses:
- Film Editing – 3 months
- Graphic Design and Branding – 3 months
- Disaster Management – 3 months
- HIV & AIDS Counseling – 2 weeks
Short courses are open to all.
Internal examinations are administered by the Polytechnic in form of continuous assessment tests (CATs), assignments, projects and end of the term examinations.
Most of our courses are examined by the following examination bodies:
- Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC)
- International Commercial Management (ICM)
- Kenya Accountants and Secretaries National Examinations Board (KASNEB)
We assist our students to find industrial attachment in their relevant fields for at least three months on or before the completion of their course (Diploma at the end of module II and Craft at the end of module II). This equips them with work experience as we release them to the world of work.